December 8, 2019

Ode to Oscy

It's been a week since Oscy passed on
And not a day has gone by
Without me thinking about something he'd done
Many a time, on the sly

Paper, plastic, rubber bands
Anything was he game for
Slinking away, silently chewing
Even a dirty diaper
He must've loved the letter C
For his favourites began with it
Cucumber, coconut, chapati and cheese
He gobbled up every bit

Whenever I went into the kitchen
Or opened the fridge door
He would instantly be there looking up at me
Or sniffing at the floor
Just in case I'd dropped something
He wasn't always particular
But if it were Parle G
He thought it was spectacular

I make it sound like he only ate
And didn't do much else
But no, he was a most active chap
Evinced by his tiny bell
Which rang every time he walked
Or sprinted around the house
True that he hadn't been wearing it for some time
But sneaked about like a mouse

Every morning when I came down
He'd be waiting there for me
To nip my ankles, ask for a treat
And stare expectantly
But what I loved even more
Was how he played when I tried to leash him up
Before I took him out for a walk
Ah, he ran around like a little pup

He wasn't wise or grumpy
But simply goofy and so sweet
He was little, yet large
With a presence that's hard to beat
Many parts of the house
Remind me of him
Especially his kitchen corner
With the light above so dim

I miss seeing him curled up
In the laundry pile
Or in his bed under the stairs
As if he'd walked a mile
From his little bowl
He drank so much water
And if that wasn't enough for him
He'd drink from a brass planter

From under the glass dining table
He always stared up
His melty eyes ensured
That our dues were paid up
With everyone at home
He had a special bond
We all miss him in our own ways
Many memories we'll hold, forever fond

It's Oscy's birthday today
A teenager he would've become
I'm sure he's celebrating somewhere
Our little rascal, and then some

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Very true and moving tribute

Unknown said...

So beautifully written Rekhs

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this, Rekha...
We shall remember Oscar’s trademark bark as we got on your street & his youthful jumping up at the gate for a treat !
Big hug from Spock, Grey, Venky and me

-- Divya

Jo & Vinod said...

So beautifully written!!! ❤️

ShanthiniRajkumar said...

It’s been years since my Sparky left ! Reading this brings back so many memories �� Beautifully written.