April 22, 2020

if -- memories from the time of B&W TVs rekindled by an instagram chat, and penned down thanks to a writing prompt

The word 'if' always reminds me of Rudyard Kipling's poem by the same name. My favourite lines are these: 'If you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two impostors just the same'. I don't recall when I read the poem fully for the first time, but I vividly remember when I heard these lines.

I was 8-years old and watching the Wimbledon Tennis Championships men's final with my dad. A young blond kid whose eyebrows were barely visible walked out onto Centre Court along with a visibly older player -- Boris Becker and Kevin Curran. As they stepped out, the commentator read out these same lines which are inscribed at the locker room exit onto Centre Court, quite sure that the younger of the two would learn a lot that day. The rest, as they say, is history. Becker was the youngest champion and the first German to win the title. He was also super cute, and I became a fan.

Cut to the present.

I've been a Federer fan since I watched him play a few feet away from me, long before he became famous. I've laughed, marvelled, had my jaws drop, jumped up and down, held my heads in my hand, chewed up my nails, cried my heart out and screamed myself hoarse. Poetry. Poetry in motion, every single time.

Yesterday morning, I woke up to an Instagram chat between Nadal and Federer -- eight minutes long, filled with affection, admiration and deep respect for one another. For those of you who may not follow tennis, it's rare to find someone who is a fan of both players. It's almost impossible. Many reasons contribute to this including their styles of play, personalities, dressing sense, etc. but the most important reason is that each has handed the other some of their most heartbreaking losses. The line between triumph and disaster has indeed been very thin.

But if Roger and Rafa can treat those two impostors just the same, what will it take for us, their fans? 

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Get all the match details and ICC T20 World Cup Schedule 2020 including time table, venues and dates to stay updated about this biggest cricket event of the year.

Arch said...

Hey there! Been catching up. Absolutely in awe of the way you connected Kipling with Tennis. This was beautiful to read. Hoping to see more!